Thursday, August 9, 2012

Patty's Story

This story is about a rider, who is now a survivor - and is once again a rider this year. Patty learned about the Texas Mamma Jamma Ride through her company in 2011; she signed up, rode, raised a lot of money - AND had a lot of fun! What Patty didn't realize, she had breast cancer cells in her body at the time but just didn't know it. A little less than 6 months after fundraising for the local breast cancer community, Patty became a recipient of those funds. She has been helped by 2 of our Beneficiaries, Breast Cancer Resource Center and Capital of Texas Team Survivor this year. 

On March 28, 2012, I was diagnosed with breast cancer following my first-ever mammogram during a routine physical.  These past few months have been a whirlwind of total shock, having to make very tough decisions - - quickly; multiple doctor appointments, pathology reports, a possible cancer in another part of my body, worry, surgery, daily radiation treatments, side effects, did I say worry?, etc., etc. Fortunately, there turned out to be just one tumor and it was found early.  There is no evidence that it spread to other parts of my body so I didn’t need chemotherapy.

Patty and her Mom
When I first heard the dreaded words “you have cancer,” all I could think of was the difficulty my mom went through after she was diagnosed with larynx cancer when I was 12.  I thought my life is going to be painful and miserable and I will not live long just like my mom.  However, a breast cancer survivor who worked as my client put me in touch with Pink Ribbon Cowgirls. This is a local support group through the Breast Cancer Resource Center for women under 45 diagnosed with breast cancer  It is through this support group that I connected with other breast cancer survivors in the younger age group.  They hold weekly lunches for survivors to get together and connect with one another.  I quickly learned about the various doctors in town which helped with my decisions on who to see.  They provide an internet forum where other survivors who have been down my path answered all of the time-critical questions I posted.  They also have a “patient navigator” who took my calls and answered my questions during a time when I had to make quick decisions.  I don’t know how I would have kept my sanity without the great support from this organization.
Also, through that support group, I learned about Team Survivor, another local non-profit that provides free exercise classes to women cancer survivors including those in treatment.  I met some inspiring women who got past their breast cancer and are the most fit and physically active women I met.
Because of these non-profit organizations, I felt empowered and I realized that I am not going to suffer the same fate as my mom.  These organizations are an extremely valuable resource to those going through desperate times.  I am planning to ride my bike with Mamma Jamma in October, 2012.  I have radiation fatigue currently, but it should be gone by October when I expect to ride the maximum distance of 100 miles.  Please join me in supporting these non-profits with whatever amount you wish to donate or join me in the event.

Patty  - August 2012
Patty came to the very first training ride in June, just a short time before she was supposed to start radiation. She made it to as many as she could even when going through treatment. Now that she is finished, she is bound and determined to train to get ready for the 100 mile distance on Ride Day. When I rode with her recently, she was wearing protective clothing from head to toe in order to protect her sensitive skin. This is Texas . . . it can get hot even in the morning. Patty is not going to let that stop her from doing what needs to be done - riding so that others can be helped just like she has been. Thank you Patty, Mamma Jamma Loves You. 

If you would like to help others facing this disease, now and in the future, we invite you to visit our website and Register!!



No comments:

Post a Comment